Mason Greenwood’s entourage threatened to DESTROY filmmaker’s equipment for recording the forward training on a pitch with his dad as Man United prepare to make decision on his Old Trafford future
Mason Greenwood’s entourage threatened a filmmaker as he took footage of the Manchester United forward training – as the club weigh up whether to re-integrate him into their squad.
The 21-year-old saw charges of attempted rape and assault dropped at the start of February but United then opened their own internal investigation.
But a decision over Greenwood’s future is imminent, with United expected to make an announcement before their opening Premier League fixture against Wolves on Monday.
The options open to United are to terminate Greenwood’s contract, re-integrate him into Erik ten Hag’s squad, sell him, or loan him out to another club for the season ahead.
His last outing for United came back in January last year and Greenwood hasn’t been able to train with his team-mates at Carrington during the 18 months he has been suspended.
Manchester United are poised to make a decision on Mason Greenwood’s future this week
Greenwood was filmed taking part in some shooting drills on a pitch with his father
Filmmaker John Gubba said a member of Greenwood’s entourage threatened him for filming
Instead, Greenwood has been training on his own on pitches under the supervision of his father Andrew.
John Gubba, who runs the Man Utd The Religion YouTube channel, revealed in a video that Greenwood’s entourage took exception to him filming one of these training sessions.
Gubba’s video shows Greenwood taking part in some shooting practice in what the filmmaker says was a ‘publicly accessible venue with no security’ and ‘away from Manchester United’.
He says a ‘thug’ from Greenwood’s entourage told him: ‘If you weren’t surrounded by witnesses we would rip that camera out of your hand and destroy your equipment.’
Greenwood and his partner Harriet Robson announced the birth of their first child last month and the footballer’s father Andrew requested the baby, present at the training session, wasn’t filmed.
Gubba said it was ‘clear Greenwood was far from peak condition’ but his unmistakable shooting technique was still there.
The forward is currently under contract for another two years until 2025 with the option of an additional year.
Charges of attempted rape and assault were dropped by the Crown Prosecution Service in February but United have spent the last few months carrying out their own investigation
Greenwood’s last outing for United came in a home win over West Ham in January last year
The prospect of bringing Greenwood back into the first-team fold has reportedly split the United dressing room and there have been concerns raised by the women’s team.
Greenwood was recently seen working out with a fitness trainer on a local public path alongside Anthony Elanga, who has since left United to join Nottingham Forest.
Responding to questions about Greenwood’s future on the first leg of United’s summer tour of the US in New Jersey last month, manager Ten Hag said: ‘It’s a club decision and, of course, I’ve shared my opinions but it’s a club decision and we all have to accept that.
‘I can’t say so much about it but I shared my opinion about it, so let’s see what’s going to happen.’